Wednesday 19 September 2012

The Pain and Pleasure of Packing!

Packing is bad enough when it' s for a week or two's holiday but when you're packing up most of your stuff to move away it feels like a massive chore.

I'm a list maker. I genuinely feel like I need to make lists in order to live and if I hadn't made lists pretty much every day of the summer, especially during the last 3 weeks, I wouldn't have got anything done. 

The idea of packing is overwhelming but I actually surprised myself at how little I use in my house after making a list of the things I need to pack. I've bought a lot of kitchen stuff (mostly all pink); new bedding and some new clothes so I'm not actually taking that much stuff from my own room which will hopefully make my room look a lot less sad than I'd imagined it, with many Katy traces left behind! 

I don't have much to say about packing apart from that at first it feels hard but there's something very satisfying about getting bits of it done. What I thought might be helpful though for anyone that may happen upon this blog when leaving for university this year, next year or however many years down the line, is a list because I'm good at those. 

  • Make up and toiletries (obviously up to you how much/what of this you take)
  • Sleeping bag and airbed (for visiting friends)
  • all kitchen stuff (Try and start to cook a bit at home, I'm a rubbish cook but I've made my mum teach me a few key dishes to see what kitchen stuff I actually use) 
  • all bedding stuff (my halls don't include duvets and pillows and stuff but others do, so check things like that!)
  • Stationary (it's easy to forget that you're going to study and not just meet people and get drunk, folders pens and papers and stuff but also watch to see if your course has specific things you'll need to buy)
  • printer, paper and ink
  • nail varnish (time to split mine and my mum's collection!)
  • jewellery
  • clothes, socks, underwear etc
  • shoes (don't forget these like my friend did when she moved in at the weekend!)
  • bags
  • hairbrush
  • laundry bag
  • extension lead
  • curlers
  • hairdryer
  • GHDs
  • umbrella
  • ipod dock/alarm clock
This is the list I've been working off. This isn't a definitive list, it's more general, there's lots of stuff on the internet to tell you all the specifics you'll need, although definitely look and see what is included in your halls! Obviously, I don't know if all of this is useful because I haven't gone yet but do let me know if you've gone to university if I've forgotten anything major! 

No comments:

Post a Comment