Wednesday 1 August 2012

Time to lose the L plates!

Learning to drive is probably second only to A levels in the things taking up the average 17/18 year old's mind. I started driving in February last year. I'd avoided applying for my provisional license, starting a month after my birthday only because my Mum and Dad constantly told me it was a good idea. Most people I know turned 17 and couldn't wait to start driving, I was terrified at the idea.

My college takes part in the roadrunner course, where all the year 12s go over to Bradwell and learn about safe driving. As a part of this day, a driving school were taking us round for small off road drives. I'd never even attempted to drive before, I didn't know what any of the controls were, I didn't even know how to turn it on! It's safe to say I was the worst driver of the day, scaring all the other students and even the instructors, with one asking when I turned 17 so that he could stay off of the road. This experience didn't exactly make me less horrified at the idea of learning to drive so in the months running up to my birthday when I should have applied for my licence, I instead made a concerned effort to change the subject any time the topic of me driving came up in conversation.

Fortunately, I have extremely stubborn parents. They decided it was a good idea for me to learn to drive and themed all presents around driving lessons. I couldn't really say no any more when they were being paid for me so I finally admitted defeat and ordered my provisional. The next terrifying (I like to be dramatic!) step was deciding who to learn to drive with. Everyone who lives in Maldon always jokes about the large amount of cafes and hairdressers we're home to and I'm starting to think that driving schools should join that list! Luckily, my decision was made easy for me and to be completely honest, if it wasn't then I'd probably still be putting off learning to drive and arguing with my parents about it.

Supreme driving school run a course with my sixth form where they do driving practice around the playground for year 12s approaching their 17th birthday. This was the best thing ever for me. I got to get used to being in a car when I could only endanger the school, the instructor, the instructor's car and me which is a lot better than the danger I'd have faced going on the road straight away! This made me feel a little more confident about the idea and I booked lessons with Dave.

It's taken me a little longer than most people to get to the stage of taking a test. I'm in no way a natural driver and I'm the sort of person who worries about looking stupid so I didn't want to even try and take one if I didn't feel confident that I could drive. I've finally gotten to that stage after about a year and a half of driving and I'm happy to say that it meant I passed first time thanks to Dave being patient with my driving skills, it took me a while but I got there!

So, as much as I REALLY didn't want to learn to drive, now I can I love it! Driving on my own is the least stressful thing in the world, I'm super careful to look in my mirrors all the time and for once I actually feel like I know what I'm doing in the car. I went out for my first drive alone yesterday afternoon up to town. It was the smoothest drive I've ever had and I did a perfectly straight bay park first time, which has NEVER happened before. I keep being reminded that I'm going to learn more about driving now that I've passed and I've got to be super careful and I completely see that, it feels so different. The most important thing though, is driving music. I'm finding that Olly Murs sets the perfect relaxed yet happy mood for good driving, I'm not sure my "ooh ah Malia" playlist will have the same effect...

I would recommend anyone trying to learn to drive if possible. Every one is different, you might be car crazy and learn to drive straight away and pass ASAP, or you might be like me and think it's scary and not really worth it but just give it a try because no matter how long it takes, it's just something good to be able to do.


1 comment:

  1. Learning how to drive is a scary thought, but once you've learned it already, you will love every bit of it! It's a very good investment because once you acquired the skill, it's yours forever. Also, learning how to drive comes with lots of perks, too. First, it would save you from paying for a driver. Second, for your own comfort. You don't have to wait for a long line at the bus stop, wait in a crowded subway, or at other public transportation stops. You would appreciate it most when you start to have your own family.

    Rookie Driver

    ReplyDelete