Tuesday 18 September 2012

The End of an Era but the Start of the Future!

Tonight was difficult.

I've only been excited for starting university, I haven't been sad or nervous at all. I'm still not nervous yet and I'm still excited but tonight I got sad. Tonight was the end of an era, my last event as a Plume student: presentation evening. I won the year 13 music award and the year 13 mentoring award, both of which I am proud to say I also won last year in year 12 (always good to know that you're consistent). This is the 3rd presentation evening I've been to as an award winner but I have been to 5 to perform with
the choir and I was nowhere near prepared for how hard it would be to not take part in that performance.

Honestly, I don't think I have found anything more difficult than watching the Plume School Choir perform without me.

That might sound dramatic but until you've been a part of that choir, you don't understand how hard it is to leave them. I feel like a big sister to everyone in that group and it truly felt like a family to me. It hadn't quite hit me that I'd left them until tonight and it took everything I had to hold it together. I didn't really think that me blubbing in the front row on the stage was the look the school were going for. I did feel incredibly proud though, after so many years of being in that choir it was great to listen to them and I think they sounded amazing, although I am a little bias.

A reaaaally old picture of the Plume School Choir

At the end of the evening, there was a guest speaker. An ex pupil who has gone on to play professional football. I found him inspirational, although for this blog, not for my life. I have LOVED my time at this school. So many friends said to me when we left school, how sick they were of it and how they couldn't wait to leave the place. I, however couldn't have been sadder. The school have been so good to me over the past 7 years. There have definitely been occasions when I've felt annoyed with them, (for example a certain english teacher in year 10 and a certain drama teacher in year 11) and there are plenty of things I won't miss, the headmaster's rambling speeches which make everyone simultaneously roll their eyes and fall asleep as he tells them how qualifications aren't really very important at all, being a significant one.

BUT, despite anything that annoys me about Plume, I have a lot to thank it for and a lot I'll miss about it. I've met some great friends; been taught by some great teachers and ultimately learnt a lot about various subjects and life in general! My school played a big part in making me who I am today and I don't plan to ever fully sever ties with it. That doesn't mean I'm going to want to teach there or even necessarily send my children there but what I'd like more than anything is to one day be someone who is asked to come back and speak at presentation evening. Obviously I plan to be successful in whatever career I enter into and presentation evening tonight inspired me further to work really hard at my degree and I'm more determined than ever to become a successful journalist or maybe a successful something else, who knows right now but I would like to be able to go and speak at the Plume one day and tell people how much I loved it. Honestly, it wasn't the only reason I got into university (and maybe became a successful whatever) because I actually worked really hard throughout my school life and it paid off. I completely agree with this guest speaker and my headmaster that it's not ALL about the results and qualifications you get, it's about the experiences you have too but I like to think I've had a really good balance during my school life between hobbies, time with friends, time with family and school work and that's what makes me feel prepared for real life.
My First day of year 7! 

Year 10!



Year 11!

If you are one of the people who can afford to do no work and still do well then congratulations but don't you want to actually feel proud of yourself for achieving something through hard work and determination rather than what could be described as a fluke? I'm not one of these people at all but in some ways I'm quite grateful that I'm not because I feel like it's made me able to work for whatever I want and I'd encourage anyone still at school or sixth form or even at university or work to be as busy as possible doing things you enjoy as well as working for your job or studies because it's made me appreciate everything so much more. I'm not at all saying I'm a perfect person or I've had the best school life ever, I can't judge that because I haven't lived anyone else's life but I'm really happy and incredibly proud of what I've achieved so far, so it can't be that bad a tactic.

Future vs Past day at college!
Crazy Games at college!
Last official day at Plume!

So, despite the fact I came home tonight and cried a lot because it's only just hit me that things are ending and I'm actually moving away from the home town and the people I love so much and have been my whole life for the past 18 years, I feel inspired because I'm leaving to really start my life and hopefully in 30 years time or whatever I'll be back to say "look what I've done", partly for my ego but also because it feels like it's about time someone started saying I worked hard at school and I've done well because of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment