Thursday 6 September 2012

Nearing the end of The Road to University!

I am thrilled to say that the past year and everything I've blogged about all worked for me and I got into my first choice, De Montfort university in Leicester. I was way too attached to DMU, with it being the only uni I know of that lets you book your accommodation before you have an unconditional place, I'd already spoken to some of my future flatmates on Facebook and all the freshers groups made me feel like I was already going. My offer was quite achievable so it wasn't ridiculous for me to feel that way but I do wonder how I'd have reacted if things hadn't gone as expected.


The night before results was one of my best friend's 18th and if it was any other occasion then I would have most definitely said no to a night out in favour of an early night being boring and sensible ready for the following morning. It wasn't just anyone's birthday though, so saying no wasn't an option, toning down the drinking a little so there was no more sick in taxi incidents however, was definitely in order. I had a brilliant night and actually think it was probably the best thing for us. As one of my friends kept saying, it was the last night we had where we could just enjoy ourself with nothing to worry about and the alcohol probably gave us a better night's sleep than anyone sober enough to panic.




I went to bed at about 4am and woke up at 7am, making the mistake of checking my e-mails followed by twitter. I hadn't received any e-mails but I mis-read someone's tweet and thought they'd got in to DMU, which immediately made me convinced that I hadn't got in. For the next hour, armed with my laptop and my mum I sat in bed refreshing UCAS track until I read the words "Congratulations" and "De Montfort University" and screamed the house down waking my brother up and throwing my laptop at my mum. I'm sure that was one of the best moments of my life and it just got better with a phone call from one of my best friends telling me that her and another one of my friends had also got into their first choices, the good news kept coming in on twitter and Facebook and in some ways it was an even better feeling seeing everyone else celebrating too. It really seems that a lot more people, at my sixth form anyway, got into their first choice this year and even the hangover didn't ruin that morning for me.



It didn't even really matter to me then what I got in my A levels, getting in to Uni was making me happy enough. I could have got a B and 3 Ds to get into DMU and because it was point based I couldn't really predict for definite what I'd got but I was really happy to find out that I'd got a B and 3Cs. It's good to know that the hard work I put in gave me what I wanted.

So, it's almost over now. I move to Leicester on the 22nd September, which is nearly 2 weeks away now and I'm just starting to pack and buy all the new things I need. I want to make the most of the last couple of weeks at home in Maldon but it's definitely going to be hard with all the goodbyes I'm going to have to start saying to all the friends moving away before me; the people I'm leaving behind and also to this blog.

It's not over yet though and if I can tear my self away from watching friends and numerous youtube videos rather than doing anything productive then I'll update you with my last few weeks on The Road to University!

No comments:

Post a Comment